Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is an excess?
  • An excess is the part of the claim we will not pay. This helps keep down the cost of insurance.


  • Do you cover valuable items?
  • We do not recommend you take valuables away with you, however if you do have expensive items we can offer the Specified Luggage and Personal Effects Cover. Cover for unspecified items is limited to: Personal Computer/Video Camera/Camera: $3,000 each item; Mobile phones (including PDAs and any items with phone capabilities): $1,000 each item; Other items: $750 each item. The maximum amount we will pay for all claims combined is shown in the Table of Benefits. Additional cover up to a total of $5,000 can be purchased under all Plans, except for IEC, UK residents and residents already overseas. Please note: depreciation is applicable due to age, wear and tear.


  • Does baggage have to be locked in the boot when left in a vehicle?
  • Yes, it does. No cover applies if luggage and personal effects are left unattended in the passenger compartment of a vehicle or if the luggage and personal effects have been left in the vehicle overnight.


  • What does premium reduction mean?
  • You can pay an extra premium at the time of purchasing some policies so that if you make a claim you do not have to pay any of the standard excess.


  • What is a pre-existing medical condition?
  • DUinsure travel insurance only provides cover for emergency overseas medical events that are unforeseen. Medical conditions that were pre existing at the time of the policy being issued are not covered, unless they are a condition that we expressly agree to cover.
    If you have a pre-existing medical condition that is not covered by this policy, we will not pay any claims arising from, related to or associated with that condition. This means that you may have to pay for an overseas medical emergency and any associated costs which can be prohibitive in some countries.

    A pre existing medical condition is:

    a) Any medical or physical condition, defect, disease or illness including any mental illness, of which you were aware or should reasonably have been aware, and for which treatment, medication, preventative medication, advice, preventative advice or investigation have been received or prescribed by a medical or dental adviser in the 90 days prior to the relevant time; or

    b) Any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) medical or dental condition, illness or disease of which you were aware or should reasonably have been aware, and which is medically documented or under investigation prior to the relevant time; or

    c) Any surgery which you have undergone in the past 12 months; or

    d) Pregnancy

    e) Any of the above conditions which are the subject of an investigation, even if the condition has not been diagnosed.
    Relevant time in respect of:

    a) Single trip policies means the time of issue of the policy.

    b) Frequent traveller policies means the first time at which any part of the relevant trip is paid for or the time at which the policy is issued, whichever occurs last.
    This above definition applies to you, your travelling companion, a relative or any other person.


  • What is the 24 hour medical emergency phone number?
  • We're there to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We recommend you call the 24 hour emergency phone number as soon as possible if you have a medical issue and they will try to solve your problem in the most suitable and practical way. Failure to follow their advice or instruction may result in your claim not being paid.
    Phone: (+) 61 2 8776 3010


  • What activities am I covered for?
  • Check out the list of all the sports and activities you are covered for under your DUInsure policy. 


  • How do I make a claim?
  • To make a claim please fill out a claim form or contact our claims team. 


  • Am I covered for bungee jumping, scuba diving and white/black water rafting?
  • Yes you are, subject to the terms, benefits, limits and exclusions of the policy. For scuba diving you need to hold an open water diving licence issued in Australia or be diving under a licensed instructor. All of our policies will cover many adventure sports. Please check the policy wording to see if your sport is not covered.


  • Do I have to pay the bill if I am ill?
  • If you are hospitalised, we usually pay the hospital directly, so you won't be stuck with the bill. Please note you must contact us as soon as possible. If not, then you may be liable for expenses or any evacuation or airfares not approved. 


  • Why are Downunder Insurance's policy prices so competitive?
  • Downunder specialises in Backpacker and Independent Traveller policies with varying levels of cover. We perform a good portion of our sales over the internet which helps us to keep our costs down.


  • Do I have to keep my policy with me whilst I travel?
  • Some authorities will ask to see your policy so you should carry a photocopy. However, to take advantage of our 24 hour emergency assistance all you need is the 24hr medical emergency telephone number and your policy number.


  • Must I be an Australian resident?
  • In some cases we can insure non-residents. Please contact our offices directly on 1300 379 336 or if you are not a permanent Australian resident, so we may assist you with your purchase of travel insurance.


  • Can I cancel my policy and get a refund?
  • Yes, our Cooling Off Period allows you to cancel your travel insurance policy and get a full refund as long as you cancel it within 14 days of purchasing and you haven't left on your trip or intend to make a claim.


  • Can I extend my policy?
  • In most cases yes, please contact our offices directly so we may assist you with your application to extend your cover.


  • Can I still get insurance with Downunder Travel Insurance even though I'm not a backpacker?
  • Yes, our policies suit most types of travel. You should ensure that the plan you choose provides the right type of cover for your needs